Qualification Assessment

by Chris

I am a finance professional with 10+years of accounting / finance experience in the Banking industry. However, I do not have a professional accounting qualification from an accounting body but have been assessed by CPA Australia as qualified for skilled migration under "Accountants" category based on my tertiary qualifications.

Does this assessment allow me to call myself as CPA accredited accountant for job search in Australia?

What other bodies in Australia can assess my qualifications to allow me to pitch myself as a qualified Accountant for job purposes.

Many thanks


Hi Chris,

From what you are saying I assume that your tertiary qualifications are in accounting. I would also assume that if an assessment is stated to be for migration purposes it means just that. I don't think you can call yourself a CPA in Australia.

If you say that you have experience and accounting qualifications it shouldn't be too difficult to get a job as an accountant. You don't need to be a CPA to be an accountant and to find a job. Though you need it to progress in your career and for your professional development.

But these are just assumptions, so why don't you send an email to CPA Australia and ask them to give you more details about the assessment. Ask them what you need to do to become accredited as a CPA.

There are other professional accounting bodies in Australia: the Institute of Chartered Accountants, the Institute of Public Accountants, the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants.

They all have their requirements for membership so visit their websites to see what you need to do.

Good luck with your job hunting.

Click here to post comments

Return to Working in Australia.

ask a question

Subscribe to
Starting in Sydney News


I keep this private