Veterinary Technician Certification

by Kara Daniels
(Alabama, United States)

I recently graduated with a veterinary technician degree and have passed my American Veterinary Technician Certification test. Therefore, I am now an American licensed vet tech.

I have been thinking about moving to Australia for a while now and was wondering what I would need to do in order to hold a veterinary technician job in Australia. I am not sure how the accreditation process works there.

Thank you so much,

Kara Daniels

Comments for Veterinary Technician Certification

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Jan 04, 2011
Here is Where to Search for Information
by: Angela


Moving to Australia is a big decision, so you need to make sure that you are aware of all the process. While I cannot answer the specifics of your question regarding your degree, I can help indicate where to look for information.

Check the website of the Department of Immigration,
There is a huge amount of information there which will help you understand what your options are, so take your time and read what you consider to be relevant to you.

You can find more information in the general skilled migration section: including the recent changes to the program and the skilled occupation list (SOL).

I had a look for you and saw the veterinarian occupation included in the SOL: - it indicates that the assessing authority for this profession is AVBC, which is the Australasian Veterinary Boards Council. Their site is

Visit the site to see if your qualifications match their requirements, or contact them for more details.

Wishing you all the best with your research,

Dec 13, 2012
Veterinary Nursing
by: Rodwell

I am currently studying towards a Diploma in Veterinary Nursing with the University of Zimbabwe. I would like to know my chances of securing a job and furthering my studies in Australia after finishing my diploma?


Hi Rodwell,

To secure a job in Australia you need a skilled visa. To apply for one you need to be invited and to be invited you have to express your interest by filling your details in the Skill Select database (

In case you meet the basic requirements (which include things like skills, occupation in demand in this country, qualifications, scoring a minimum number of points on the points test) you could be eligible for an invitation.

You can take a free online assessment with National Visas to see if you would be able move forward with your intentions.

Here is another reply to a question about relocating to this country.

Mar 04, 2013
Vet Tech
by: Anonymous

Veterinary Technicians in Australia are regarded the same as certificate nurses and are unable to be registered. It makes it very difficult to be able to get any responsibility as everything falls back on the Vet. I have been a Tech graduate in Australia now for a year and before that was a certificate nurse. The courses were vastly different and I feel dissapointed that Techs dont get more recognition as it is a lot more committment to do a 3 or 4 year full time uni degree rather than just training on the job and submitting assignments for the certificates. I would suggest that if America has good jobs available stay there as you have to fight for your position in Australia and it seems that many people oppose you because most Nurses only have a certificate and dont comprehend the amount of time you have put into your education and your skill level.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Working in Australia.

ask a question

Subscribe to
Starting in Sydney News


I keep this private