Australian Visitor Visa, Sponsored by Your Family

> >For Sponsored Visitors

Does your auntie live Down Under? She could sponsor you with an Australian visitor visa. She is taking on a lot of responsibilities though, so be sure she is happy with the decision.

So what sort of visa is this one, sponsored by family?

Your Australian relatives can help you get together with them for a while.

You do need to have some very close and loving family living Down Under to be able to ask them for sponsorship, as this visa is not for the faint hearted.

It puts a burden on them, both financially and morally - they are the ones that guarantee you will leave the country when your visa expires.

Who Does What, a Quick Check

The visitor (that is you) fills in and signs the application form and then sends it together with all the required documents to their sponsor in Australia.

As a visitor, you need to be healthy and of good character. For more info see

The sponsor (for example, your auntie, because she offered to help you) needs to be an Australian citizen or permanent resident living in the country for at least 2 years. And she has quite a number of financial obligations. Here are some:

  • She lodges the application, 
  • pays the application charge, 
  • and the security bond if required,
  • and is the contact person for any communication with the Australian department of immigration.

Here's where you can take a free online assessment to see what visa works for you.

Australian Visitor Visa, What You Can Do

  • You can stay in Australia for the time period granted as per what the label in your passport says;
  • You can study for a maximum period of 3 months. 

What You Cannot Do

  • You cannot leave and then re-enter Australia, even if your travel permit to stay has not expired. You have only one entry.
  • You cannot work;
  • You cannot apply to extend your visa as long as you are in Australia.

If you need more time to stay with your rellies (this is the Australian slang for relatives) you can apply for another sponsored family visit after you leave the country.

Or better apply for a tourist visa, which doesn't involve any financial guarantees from your family. They will be happier to have you around.

Also check the other alternatives to visit. You may satisfy the conditions for the electronic visas. They are quick and easy to apply for and do not require sponsorship.

Good luck with your application.

Like this page?

Buy these books from Amazon